Saturday, March 27, 2010

Week Ten

Class Website

I created a website for a hypothetical 6th grade math class. Class websites facilitate active involvement of parents in their child's school activities, and this is one key for student success. A website is a wonderful way to share information among students, parents, and teachers. Google makes it easy for anyone to make their own website. Granted, one must accept the limitations of the Google tool, but for making a very basic website it works well.

I wanted to create a simple, easy-to-use design where students and parents could go for class updates, assignments, resources, and basic information. I did not have any major problems with the project. The hardest part was making up the mock content for the site: homework schedule, introduction, faq, etc. I decided to use a graphic from my PowerPoint quiz for the logo. I simply changed the color scheme to match the lavender of the Google template I chose. I decided to go with all lower case for the main heading and page titles because I think it contributes to the sleek, modern look which I was going for.


Google's text editor is very crude. You can only do a little formatting of text. Also, it was somewhat awkward to add pictures, and the sizing and placement of pictures is very limited. However, these drawbacks are understandable when you consider that this is a free resource designed to be usable by anyone. The more bells and whistles, the more complicated it all gets.


The name of my website is Math Matters.

3 comments:

  1. Your exactly right creating the website using google was very easy. I was dum founded when it came to making up the needed information. But overall I think I made it work. Your website looks great. Many of the aspects that you incorporated made it look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that Sites is fairly easy to use, but as you say, you are limited in what you can do with text and pictures. For a class website, however, it is perfect. You can easily post necessary information, and make documents available for downloading.

    ReplyDelete