Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week Six

Today I finished the third part of the assignment on using productivity software. Even though I have used Word, Excel, and PowerPoint extensively for many different purposes, I wanted to push myself to use new features of the software whenever possible and make my designs as attractive as I could. I have always enjoyed using these applications, and I have learned all that I know by trial and error. For me this is a good way to learn because I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to do things on my own. Of course, it is always important to know when to ask for help, especially in teamwork situations.

My scenario for these assignments is a 6th grade math class, and this is not too far from my actual experience teaching 7th grade math for one year.

I enjoyed working on the flyer because I was trying to incorporate the design principles I have been studying in my desktop publishing class IT 567. The most challenging part was creating the math-themed background to spice up the open area of the flyer. I used Microsoft Equation editor to make several formula objects which I resized, recolored, and rotated. The panther logo is a free proof from iStockphoto. I have purchased graphics from this source for previous projects. In order to post my flyer to this blog, I needed to save it as a PDF file. Microsoft has an add-in for Word 2007 which I downloaded from their website and installed. Then I uploaded the pdf file to Google Docs. Finally, I set the document to be shared with everyone and obtained Google's URL for the document. For best viewing, I suggest you click the download button on the Google Docs page so you may see the flyer in Adobe Acrobat Reader. The Google preview is low quality.
Flyer

In this assignment I learned a great deal about graphs in Excel. Until now I had only rarely used the graphing capability of Excel, but I found Excel 2007 to be flexible and intuitive in creating graphs. Can anyone guess where I got the names for my "students"?
Progress Chart


PowerPoint is one of my favorite applications. I love using animation, but I'm not a fan of sound effects. You will notice my limited use of sound only in places where I felt the animation was small and might otherwise not be noticed. This short quiz was not a problem for me since I had done something similar in IT 636. Again, I tried to use what I have learned about design including complementary color scheme and repetition of shapes.
Quiz

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. If you have any difficulty opening the project files please post a comment or email me at greenderry@gmail.com
Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. All of your projects were very good. The powerpoint was my favorite. The way in which you were able to create the diagrams and examples for the answers was very impressive. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects look great Laurie! The powerpoint was very clean and easy to read and understand. It is always important to make sure the design of the slides does not get in the way of the content.

    ReplyDelete