Saturday, January 23, 2010

Introduction

Hello,

My name is Laurie Gambrell. I am pursuing a Master's degree in Technical Education at The University of Southern Mississippi and am expecting to graduate in the summer of 2010. I chose a minor in Instructional Technology, which is the reason I am enrolled in IT 645 Computers in Education.

I am currently an adult education instructor at Jones County Junior College. I teach a GED prep class and also am the professional development trainer for the program as well as the program's data manager. I have been working in adult education for over seven years, but I have also worked as a computer programmer/analyst.

Since I started my Master's program, I have taken more online classes than traditional classes. I enjoy the flexibility of online learning. Due to my job and family responsibilities, it is best for me to do most of my classwork on the weekends. Online learning makes that possible. I agree with those who say that online classes are as much or more work than traditional classes. But, I welcome the challenge of graduate-level education, and I strive to do my best in each of my courses.

I am very proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint because I use these applications constantly for my work. I am somewhat skilled in Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter essentials. I have had limited experience with Windows Moviemaker and Pinnacle Studio 9. All these skills are self-taught. I enjoy figuring out how to use software on my own.

I use email extensively at work for keeping up with the correspondence of 13 fellow instructors concerning training and data issues. Through my online classes I have used virtually all the features of blackboard, including discussion board, assignment drop box, and Wimba virtual classroom. I also use Google Calendar, Google Docs, Google Chat, and Skype video and audio chat.

I am not a follower of blogs other than those of family members. I am not a strong user of social media, except I do have a Facebook page and a few friends there. I don't twitter, and I am not a cell phone person.

I use the internet extensively to find instructional resources for my GED prep class, and my students use computer-based learning applications PLATO and MySkillsTutor. I use PowerPoint to enhance my instruction as well as video clips.

In this class, I hope to become more current with the uses of technology in the classroom, especially how technology can enhance learning. As an instructor, I am always willing to try new things if I see how it will benefit my students or make me a more effective instructor.

Thank you, and I look forward to a productive semester.

Laurie Gambrell

3 comments:

  1. Excellent job in starting your blog. The design looks so appealing and the text is very organized and easy to read. You set a great example for the class. I really enjoyed reading your first blog enter and look forward to more reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,

    Thanks so much on the congradulations for my upcoming wedding. I have found a dress online and can't wait!!! love your blog. I am very stressed about this course I have not ever been forced to use technology and now I am... We'll see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to meet you. It seems you're much more experienced on online courses than I am (this is my first one). If I ever need help, I know who to come to ;)

    ReplyDelete